When to Apply for Nurse Practitioner Residency
If you haven't heard about MidlevelU's residency-like program for new nurse practitioners, you can think of the program a bit like Teach for America. Midlevels for the Medically Underserved (MMU) matches new grad NPs with facilities working with medically underserved communities across the country. MMU sites agree to be a supportive learning environment for nurse practitioners looking to kick off their careers. A continuing education component rounds out the experience with weekly didactic sessions. Essentially, MMU allows you a smooth transition from education to practice...with purpose!
Last fall, our inaugural MMU class embarked on their new grad learning experience. From California to New Mexico, South Carolina, and more, these nurse practitioners set out to not only improve their clinical skill sets, but also make a difference in communities in need of healthcare. To get the full scoop on Midlevels for the Medically Underserved, you can download our overview packet here or check out a video clip of our current class here.
Application season for MMU is in full swing! While our application deadline to start the program in spring 2017 has passed, there's still time left to apply for the fall 2017 class. You do not need to wait until you graduate from your nurse practitioner program to apply. We welcome applications from NPs who have previously graduated, or who will graduate in or before August 2017. If you think MMU could be a good fit for you post-graduation, here's a peek at the application timeline.
Fall MMU Application Timeline
March 31, 2017
- Final application deadline! Applications must be submitted by this date.
- Keep in mind, there may be additional site opportunities for NPs who submit applications prior to the deadline - so get your app in as soon as possible.
- Acceptance decisions made.
- Initial phone interviews, matching process, site interviews scheduled.
- The timing of this process depends on when your application is received, your graduation date, and the needs of sites you match with.
- Final matching decisions made.
- The timing of this process depends on when your application is received, your graduation date, and the needs of sites you match with. Some participants may also begin their MMU experience during this time, prior to the kickoff.
September 14-15, 2017
- Grab your boots! Midlevels for the Medically Underserved kickoff in Nashville, TN.
October 2, 2017
- MMU weekly programming begins, all participants on site.
Applying to Midlevels for the Medically Underserved starts with our online application. Applicants must also submit two letters of reference, transcripts, and a resume. Click below to start your application or to check out the MMU overview packet today!