Get the Most Out of Your Nurse Practitioner Job Search with Online Job Boards
By: Kaitlin Olson, HEALTHeCAREERS Network
In our last post, we examined the top five tips for your NP job search. From packing your resume full of keywords to including career objectives, we offered a wide array of tips to help you power your search for your next career.
While each of these tips will help expand your search, job boards remain a huge help- and often times, new NP's struggle with how to get the most out of these resources. Below are a few of our best tips to help you get the most out of your job search on HeCN.
- Post Your Resume- Employers who post positions on niche job boards such as HEALTHeCAREERS Network, also pay to browse that website's database of candidates. If your resume hasn't been posted, you're narrowing your exposure to employers. Posting your resume should be your first step in your NP career.
- Narrow Your Preferences- Many niche job boards will offer the opportunity to customize your search by selecting "preferences" that are applicable to your interests. Start by selecting categories related to your profession (Acute & Critical Care, Cardiology, Oncology etc.) and preferred work locations to ensure you're visible to the right employers.
- Upload Multiple RESUMES- We recommend job seekers upload multiple resumes that are tailored to specific job postings or job titles related to your career. This is especially important if you're a new NP. Start out by creating a generic resume and then narrow down by discipline- for example; Family Medicine Nurse Practitioner resume, Emergency Medicine Nurse Practitioner resume- and highlight your qualifications in each position.
- Research Common Keywords- This goes back to our last blog post where we recommended you pack your resume full of keywords. But if you're new to the NP job search world, you're probably wondering which terms are the best to use. Spend time researching job postings that most interest you and keep a list of frequently used keywords used by employers. Then, head back to your resume on HeCN and optimize your resume with the keywords you researched. This is a tactic that will help you jump out to employers recruiting for the positions you desire.
- Sign Up for Job Alerts and Pay Attention to Them- Job Alerts are a great way to stay ahead of what's being posted near you. Create alerts based on your preferred job categories and locations to be notified immediately when jobs are posted matching your search criteria. Then, be sure to pay attention to your email and take a look at the job postings that are sent to you.
By tailoring your job seeker profile with the above tips, you'll get the most out of your job search.